Are you a coffee enthusiast who loves iced or cold brew coffee? If so, we’ve got something new and exciting in store for you! Ziggi’s Coffee recently introduced nitro-keg cold brew coffee to our Main Street location in Longmont, Colorado.
What makes this specialty drink unlike any of the others we currently offer? Here are a few things you should know about our refreshingly smooth and creamy nitro cold brew coffee:
- What is the process for making the cold brew coffee concentrate?
- The cold brew coffee concentrate that is in our nitro keg is made locally by our Denver-based coffee roaster Coda Coffee. The process for making the cold brew concentrate starts by steeping Coda’s Brazil Rose roast for about 17 hours using traditional cold brew coffee making methods, which gives it an ideal distinct and balanced flavor without too much acidity. The differentiator, however, from it remaining as regular cold brew coffee is that, as the coffee steeps in water, it’s pressurized and infused with nitrogen.
- How is it poured?
- The cold brew coffee concentrate is stored in a pressurized nitrogen keg and is poured through a tap using a CO2 system. Unlike some nitrogen-based beer systems, our system doesn’t actually eject CO2 into the coffee, but rather, it’s only used to help add pressure to the plastic bag within the nitrogen keg that forces coffee out. The end result is a beautiful cascade effect and foam finish in your cup with a slightly sweeter and smoother taste than regular iced or cold brew coffee.
- What is its flavor and caffeine level?
- As mentioned above, nitro cold brew coffee has a slightly sweeter and creamier taste than regular iced or cold brew coffee. With our concentrate in particular, you can pick up notes of creamy caramel and peanut butter. It’s worth noting, however, that because the cold brew concentrate is made using a higher coffee-to-water ratio, this drink does have more caffeine (approximately 300mg per 8 oz. of concentrate) than the usual coffee drinks you may be used to. As a result, we recommend enjoying our nitro coffee over ice to cut its strength if you don’t prefer a super strong cup of coffee.
Although you can only enjoy this new drink option at our flagship Main Street location right now, we will eventually be rolling it out to our other existing coffeehouse and drive-thru locations in the coming weeks. Whether you’re new to drinking coffee or enjoy it regularly, we hope to see you soon to try our new nitro cold brew coffee!